Crayons are being treated with the same gravity as nuclear weapons. Walls have been adapted to resemble experimental, Pollock canvases. You think that you are beginning to identify linguistic conventions in TellyTubby speech, and in the midst of all of this, your only moments of silence occur when you are sorting mixed vegetables according to colour.
Worst of all, “But DAD! He keeps LOOKING at me!” is considered a genuine and legitimate defense for sibling aggravation and, when asked to approach the bench, a strategic combination of puppy dog eyes and the by-now-familiar statement “I’m bored”, is used to wrench at your heartstrings. Is any of this sounding familiar?
We all love our kids, but let’s face it – school holidays are tough. Perhaps it’s time for you and the munchkins to take a break, and at 17 on Loader guest house we know just how to do it.
A top-ten-to-do list of rugrat retreats, compiled for your convenience.
- The Iziko Planetarium introduces a show specially developed for young inquiring minds – a tour of the stars with Davy Dragon proving that there’s no place like space!
- Pebbles and penguins sound like nothing but a good time no matter how old you are, and at Boulders Beach the penguins are more than willing to meet and greet.
- Seeing as the weather’s keeping up, picnics at Kirstenbosch Gardens make for a beautiful, sunshine-full and relaxing day out.
- Butterfly World is a surreal destination for little girls who fancy themselves princesses, and even the Indiana Jones protégés, who make a day of exploring.
- For the greater adventurers, and anyone who loves the movie Cool Runnings, take a trip to Tygervalley and tire yourself out on a toboggan.
- Not least of all, our childhood favourites are being performed just for kids this Winter: The Three Little Pigs at the Baxter Theatre, and Noddy at the Artscape.
- If you’ve always wanted to travel up table mountain then the cable cars are running a great school holiday special – two children go free with every paying adult!
- Clowns, acrobats and wild animals? Be sure to catch the Boswell Wilkie Circus’ pirate extravaganza at Grandwest Casino. Not to mention the Entertainment Area for kids – a miniaturized indoor funpark – right next to the arcade, close to the ten-pin bowling lanes and near to the iceskating rink.
- Dealing with boys? Or tomboys? Looking for a safer alternative to pellet guns? Laser Quest at Stadium on Main, Claremont, is a fun and safe upgrade to what we probably would have recalled as playing cops and robbers.
- Lastly, for a really great family experience be sure to stop at Noordhoek Farm Village. An incredible array of children’s entertainment is provided for free – including puppet shows, bandstand, kid’s theatre and more. It’s a great, sociable, outdoor way to spend a good day.
This list brought just to you, Cape Town’s about-towners (no matter how big or small), by 17 on Loader Guest house.