- The heart and soul of African Relish
A long weekend of chocolate and wine. How to make delectable chocolates.
How to pair desserts and wine.
Hands on course and demonstrations by chocolatier Nontwenhle Mchunu
A long weekend of chocolate and wine.
24 – 26 September 2009
Price: R4100 per person sharing (Fully inclusive rate) – includes apron and chocolate kit!!!
Inclusive of all meals from Thursday evening to Sunday brunch, accommodation, cooking lessons and demonstrations, walks, excursions and gift kit. Take home your handmade chocolates in special packaging.
Nonthwenle Mchunu from Ezulwini Chocolat, will be hosted by African Relish in Prince Albert for the long weekend of the 23 September 2009. Nontwenhle started her chocolate business six years ago. She has studied Entrepreneurial Development at UCT Graduate School of Business, and completed various confectionary production courses at Leatherhead Food International in the UK and Laederach in Switzerland. She also represents Youth in Business SA. She is currently developing Ezulwini Chocolat as a premium chocolate brand. She will be joined by a winemaker (to be confirmed) who will conduct a wine and chocolate pairing session and introduce some wines perfect for serving with desserts and chocolates.
Our itinerary is as follows:
Thursday 24 September
- Guests to arrive in Prince Albert Thursday morning and meet at African Relish situated at 34 Church Street, the main road through the town. After refreshments you will be shown to your accommodation.
- 13:30 – Lunch in the courtyard at African Relish to meet your fellow guests along with Jeremy Freemantle, African Relish managing director and Vanie Padayachee our chef, who will explain how the cooking experiences will play out. Meet Nontwenhle and get your welcome kit.
- 15:00 Kitchen orientation, followed by a lecture by Nontwenhle and initial preparations for the chocolate making. Session finishes at 17:00.
- Relax until 19:00 when we will gather at African Relish for cocktails and a wine tasting before a Welcome Dinner with African Relish.
Friday 25 September
- If you are an early riser, a brisk walk up the lower climbs of the Swartberg Pass is a wonderful way to start the day. Breakfast at African Relish from 08:00.
- The course starts at 10:30 with a visit to Gay’s Dairy to collect fresh milk and cream for our chocolate making session. Return and spend the day with Nontwenhle and Vanie in the kitchen for hands on chocolate making session where you will learn to make 70% cocoa truffles, chilli truffles, hazelnut truffles, fruit and nut clusters and chocolate salami.
- There will be a short break for a light lunch. Course continues until 15:00. Rest of afternoon at leisure. Optional drive to Weltevrede Fig Farm or scenic walks and ambles through town.
- Supper at the Olive Branch with our local culinary crusader, Bokkie Botha with a wine pairing with some decadent chocolate desserts.
Saturday 26 September
- Farewell brunch at African Relish from 09:00. Demonstration on demystifying the making of Hollandaise sauce and poaching eggs the traditional way. Guests will then wrap and package the chocolates made the previous day to take home.